COURSE IN PRODUCTION – BH UNLIMITED ACCESS ONLY!
Course In Production – Lessons Published Biweekly
Advanced espresso looks into the latest innovations in modern barista technique and recent developments in machine and grinder engineering. It also dives deep into the physics of espresso extractions and offers a big rethink on our approach to grinds distribution and the nature of channelling. You will finish this course with a clear picture of what science currently understands about espresso. In those areas where we don’t have the answers, guided by the unbelievable scientific knowhow of our Cambridge chemistry graduate and researcher Tom Hopkinson, and the generous mentorship of world expert in solubility science, Professor Steven Abbott, the BH Learn team begins to look into areas in espresso extraction that are still a mystery to science. New lessons will be added as part of our biweekly publishing schedule. See the current course curriculum below!
All of our courses and certifications are available through BH Unlimited as a monthly subscription. When this course has completed production, it will be available as a single course purchase, giving you access for life!
Subscribe to BH Unlimited now!
- Æ 3.0 What’s in Chapter 3?
- Æ 3.01 The Importance of Good Puck Prep
- Æ 3.02 Distinguishing Between Good and Bad Pucks
- Æ 3.03 Current Best Practice in Distribution
- Æ 3.04 Distribution Techniques
- Æ 3.05 Current Practice in Tamping
- Æ 3.06 Tamping and Brewing Technique
- Æ 3.07 Recap and Glossary
- Æ 3.08 Comprehension Test – Chapter 3
- Æ 5.00 What’s in Chapter 5?
- Æ 5.01 Controlling Temperature at the Group
- Æ 5.02 Multi-boiler Machines
- Æ 5.03 The PID
- Æ 5.04 Measuring Temperature at the Group
- Æ 5.05 Controlling Temperature in the Puck
- Æ 5.06 Solubility
- Æ 5.07 Rate of Dissolution and Diffusion
- Æ 5.08 Playing With Temperature
- Æ 5.09 Temperature and Flow
- Æ 5.10 Recap and Glossary
- Æ 5.11 Comprehension Test — Chapter 5
- Æ 6.00 – What’s in Chapter 6?
- Æ 6.01 – What Does 9 Bars Mean?
- Æ 6.02 – Understanding Pressure at the Puck
Æ 6.03 Measuring Pressure at the Puck
Including an Interview with Gregory Scace
- Æ 6.04 Adjusting Pressure
- Æ 6.05 If Line Pressure is Too High (or Too Low)
- Æ 6.06 Pressure, Flow, and Solubility
- Æ 6.07 Preinfusion
- Æ 6.08 Pressure Profiling
- Æ 6.09 Optimising Pressure: the Scott Rao Method
- Æ 6.10 Low-Pressure Brewing
- Æ 6.11 High-Pressure Brewing
- Æ 6.12 Recap and Glossary
- Æ 6.13 Comprehension Test — Chapter 6
- Æ 7.00 – What’s in Chapter 7?
- Æ 7.01 Flow Restrictors
- Æ 7.02 – Water Debit
- Æ 7.03 Gravity and Pressure
- Æ 7.04 Forchheimer Flows versus Darcy Flows
- Æ 7.05 Resistance Changes
- Æ 7.06 Fines Migration
- Æ 7.07 Shot Time
- Æ 7.08 Flow Profiling
- Æ 7.09 Pressure & Flow
- Æ 7.10 Simulating a Shot
- Æ 7.11 Recap and Glossary
- Æ 7.12 Comprehension Test — Chapter 7
- Æ 8.00 What’s in Chapter 8?
- Æ 8.01 Why Is Channelling So Important?
- Æ 8.02 Is it Really Channelling at All?
- Æ 8.03 Why Does Channelling Degrade the Quality of an Espresso?
- Æ 8.04 What Causes Channelling?
- Æ 8.05 Channelling in Other Industries
- Æ 8.06 Glossary and Recap
- Æ 8.07 Comprehension Test — Chapter 8
BH Unlimited – Subscription
Individual – USD 15,- / Monthly
Coffee Quality Control
BH Unlimited – Subscription
Team – USD 99,- / Monthly
The Water Course
What happens after I buy the course?
After purchase, you will gain a membership on this website granting you access to the course.
Is the course online?
Yes, the course is 100% online! All you need is a computer or mobile device and an internet connection. You don’t need to be in Australia to take the course.
How long does it take to complete the course?
The course will take maximum 30 hours if you include text, video explanations, assessments, and at-home experiments.
What do I get?
You get lifetime access to seven chapters, 26 in-depth videos, a downloadable “toolkit”, and a Barista Hustle Accredited Certificate upon completion of the course.
How hard is the course?
The course is challenging but far from impossible to study and comprehend. The videos dive into more difficult concepts and explain them further. The comprehensive tests at the end of each chapter will also help you to apply these concepts to everyday coffee making.
What if I have questions?
Email us at [email protected] and we’ll answer your questions as quickly as possible!
What is the certification process?
You have to complete each lesson and comprehension test, then pass the final assessment (85% or higher) to achieve certification. Proof of certification will be located on your learner profile on the BH site. You’ll be able to access your certificate and will be able to share it with prospective employers. Your certificate is also printable and keeps its unique security ID.
Can I share the course with my friends?
Each user will have to pay for their own access to the course. We reserve the right to limit the number of IP addresses that access the course for each account and revoke access.
Is there live tutoring or webinars available?
In our efforts to make this course affordable and accessible to all Baristas, we’ve opted to make the content always accessible and non-interactive.
How long do I have access?
You pay once and have lifetime access.
Do I have to be a Barista Hustle subscriber to take the course?
Nope! Anyone can buy access to the course.
Can I retake the test if I don’t pass?
You have unlimited resits on the test.
Is it mobile-friendly?
What’s the refund policy?
If you’re not happy with the course, we’ll give you a full refund. Simple.
Do I need an espresso machine, refractometer, or any other special equipment?
No. We’ve designed this course to help everyone that makes coffee, regardless of their equipment. Some experiments will be difficult to execute without a refractometer, but the vast majority of the course will still be relevant.
Is it suitable for beginner-level home or service baristas?
If you’ve never made a coffee before or don’t regularly drink coffee, this course is not for you. If you’re just starting your coffee journey, read through our blog of free resources first to become familiar with some of the basic concepts that lay the foundation for this course. If you are familiar with our blog, this is definitely for you!
Is it only offered in English?
For now, yes. We are working on making translations available in several languages later on down the line. Stay tuned!
The course is limited to one IP address. Can I sign in from multiple devices?
Yes! Multiple devices or locations are okay, but we’re mainly on the lookout for large scale abuse.
MEET BARISTA HUSTLE
ACCOUNT & HELP
Copyright © 2019 Barista Hustle, All Rights Reserved!