Welcome to the Roasting Science course. We created these lessons for professional coffee roasters who want to learn more about what’s happening during the roasting process — right down to the molecular level. We explain the science of roasting, including the physics of heat transfer into the bean and the series of chemical reactions that create many of the flavours we associate with roasted coffee. We explore the engineering challenges faced by roasting-machine manufacturers and the different approaches they have taken to solve them. Finally, we discuss how you can use this knowledge to fine-tune your own roasting style.
- RS 0.01 About This Course
- RS 0.02 Introduction
- RS 1.0 What’s in Chapter One?
- RS 1.01 Development of the Directly Heated Drum
- RS 1.02 - Features of the Directly Heated Drum
- RS 1.03 - Pros and Cons of Directly Heating the Roasting Drum
- RS 1.04 Development of the Indirectly Heated Drum
- RS 1.05 Three Perspectives on Drum Roasting
- RS 1.06 Recirculating Roasters and Afterburners
- RS 1.07 Fixed-Drum Roasters
- RS 1.08 Development of Fluid-Bed Roasters
- RS 1.09 Pros and Cons of Fluid-Bed Roasting
- RS 1.10 Three Perspectives on Air Roasting — Part I
- RS 1.11 Three Perspectives on Air Roasting — Part II
- RS 1.12 Other Roaster Designs
- RS 1.13 Recap and Glossary
- RS 1.14 Comprehension Test — Chapter 1
New Instalments Coming Next Week
- To Be Continued ...