- Atoms can join together as molecules by forming covalent bonds.
- Covalent bonds are formed when atoms share an electron.
- Another way for atoms to bond is through ionic bonding.
- Ionic bonding occurs when one atom steals an electron from another atom.
- Electrons have a negative charge, so when one is stolen, the thieving atom acquires a negative charge and is called an anion.
- The atom that is stolen from acquires a positive charge and is called a cation.
- Rainfall encounters carbon dioxide and dissolves it, which makes the water acidic.