Growing Regions of Colombia
CBGC 1.22 Recap and Glossary
- Of Colombia’s 32 departments, 22 produce coffee. The most productive are Huila, Antioquia, Tolima, Cauca, and Caldas.
- Colombia doesn’t have a single main harvest; it produces coffee year round.
- Coffee first flourished in the central departments of Santander, Norte de Santander, and Cundinamarca in the nineteenth century.
- During the twentieth century, these departments declined in importance and production grew in Antioquia, from whence it spread to the rest of the country.
- The Eje Cafetero (Coffee Axis),