CBGC Growing, Harvesting, and Processing
CBGC 2.07 Recap and Glossary
- A quarter of the rural households in Colombia depend on coffee as their main source of income.
- Colombian coffee production is dominated by smallholders — the average farm has just 1.7 hectares planted with coffee.
- Farmers established the Federación Nacional de Cafeteros (FNC) as a cooperative organisation. It has since developed into a semigovernmental body funded by a levy on coffee exports.
- Coffee in Colombia is planted at high densities, with more than 5,000 trees per hectare on average, most grown under partial shade.
- The average yield in Colombia is up to 20 bags per hectare. By comparison, Brazilian farmers produce 30–33 bags per hectare.
- In Colombia,