We published the original Coffee Compass in 2017 and it has been used by tens of thousands of readers since then. In September, 2021 we re-released the Coffee Compass as an interactive app. The app takes the guesswork out of dialling in, and makes it easier than ever before to perfect your filter coffee brewing.
The following post features the Brewed Coffee Compass in its original format. It’s very simple to use. Here’s what to do:
- Brew a coffee.
- Taste it.
- If you experience any negative flavours, find them on the map (left).
- Those flavours are now the centre of the compass (right).
- Find the direction you need to travel in order to get back in the green.
- When you brew the next cup, do whatever that arrow says.
- Rinse and repeat.
Enjoy, and please let me know how you go!
Please note, this compass doesn’t:
– work for espresso.
– take into account that your coffee might be of poor quality or roasted badly.
– care about brewing temperature. Just use boiling water.
If you found this useful and want to access all our barista classes and online certifications, register for our monthly BH Unlimited education subscription. Or if you just want to keep up with every thing Barista Hustle – sign up to the Newsletter.