Taking Action – Using Filters and Water Softeners
TWC 4.08 – Recap and Glossary
Recap and Glossary
- Prefiltration is accomplished by installing a filter cartridge made of HDPE microfibers and/or an activated charcoal filter.
- HDPE microfibers can remove undissolved solids.
- Activated charcoal removes chemicals. It also removes odours produced by chemicals such as chlorine and chloramine.
- Reverse osmosis systems blend two waters: water that has been filtered through activated charcoal, and product water that travels both through the charcoal and the osmosis membrane.
- Osmosis membranes produce product water at or around 10 ppm.
- The osmosis membrane allows H2O molecules to travel through, but it is too fine to allow ions that are bonded to various H2O molecules to travel through the pores in the membrane.