Course In Production – Lessons Published Biweekly
The Roasting Science course teaches coffee-roasting professionals about what happens inside the beans during roasting and how to use that knowledge to improve their roasting practices. Under the effects of heat and airflow, coffee beans undergo a complex series of chemical reactions and physical changes. The reactions are influenced by the design of the roasting machine, the characteristics of the coffee beans, and the stage of the roast. Understanding the physics and chemistry of these reactions can help roasters achieve the flavour profile they seek.
We begin the course by explaining the history, design features, technical advantages, and quirks of each of the major styles of roasting machine on the market. We go on to explore the composition and structure of coffee beans, and how that affects the roasting characteristics of different coffees. We then get into the physics of heat transfer, and discuss how that affects roast profiling, which leads into an in-depth analysis of the chemical reactions that take place inside coffee beans, and how these are affected by the conditions inside the beans during different parts of the roast.
All of our courses and certifications are available through BH Unlimited as a monthly subscription. When this course has completed production, it will be available as a single course purchase, giving you access for life!
Subscribe to BH Unlimited now!
- RS 1.0 What’s in Chapter One?
- RS 1.01 Development of the Directly Heated Drum
- RS 1.02 – Features of the Directly Heated Drum
- RS 1.03 – Pros and Cons of Directly Heating the Roasting Drum
- RS 1.04 Development of the Indirectly Heated Drum
- RS 1.05 Three Perspectives on Drum Roasting
- RS 1.06 Recirculating Roasters and Afterburners
- RS 1.07 Fixed-Drum Roasters
- RS 1.08 Development of Fluid-Bed Roasters
- RS 1.09 Pros and Cons of Fluid-Bed Roasting
- RS 1.10 Three Perspectives on Air Roasting — Part I Preview
- RS 1.11 Three Perspectives on Air Roasting — Part II
- RS 1.12 Other Roaster Designs
- RS 1.13 Recap and Glossary
- RS 1.14 Comprehension Test — Chapter 1
- RS 3.0 What’s in Chapter 3?
- RS 3.01 Moisture Levels During Roasting
- RS 3.02 The Effects of Moisture on Heat Transfer
- RS 3.03 The Effects of Moisture on Roast Chemistry
- RS 3.04 The Effects of Bean Composition on Roast Chemistry
- RS 3.05 Mass Loss
- RS 3.06 Swelling and Bean Structure
- RS 3.07 The Glass Transition
- RS 3.08 First Crack and Second Crack
- RS 3.09 Exothermic and endothermic
- RS 3.10 The Roles of Exothermy and Endothermy in Roasting
- RS 3.11 Under Pressure
- RS 3.12 Recap and Glossary
- RS 4.0 What’s in Chapter 4?
- RS 4.01 Convection, Conduction, and Radiation
- RS 4.02 Conduction and Convection in Roasting
- RS 4.03 Radiation in Roasting
- RS 4.04 Heat and Temperature
- RS 4.05 Specific Heat and Conductivity
- RS 4.06 Heat Transfer ‘Momentum’
- RS 4.07 Measuring Temperature
- RS 4.08 Probe Size and Placement
- RS 4.09 Batch Size
- RS 4.10 Drum Rotation Speed
- RS 4.11 Drum Diameter and the Froude Number
BH Unlimited – Subscription
Individual – USD 15,- / Monthly
Coffee Quality Control
BH Unlimited – Subscription
Team – USD 99,- / Monthly
The Water Course
What happens after I buy the course?
After purchase, you will gain a membership on this website granting you access to the course.
Is the course online?
Yes, the course is 100% online! All you need is a computer or mobile device and an internet connection. You don’t need to be in Australia to take the course.
How long does it take to complete the course?
The course will take maximum 30 hours if you include text, video explanations, assessments, and at-home experiments.
What do I get?
You get lifetime access to seven chapters, 26 in-depth videos, a downloadable “toolkit”, and a Barista Hustle Accredited Certificate upon completion of the course.
How hard is the course?
The course is challenging but far from impossible to study and comprehend. The videos dive into more difficult concepts and explain them further. The comprehensive tests at the end of each chapter will also help you to apply these concepts to everyday coffee making.
What if I have questions?
Email us at [email protected] and we’ll answer your questions as quickly as possible!
What is the certification process?
You have to complete each lesson and comprehension test, then pass the final assessment (85% or higher) to achieve certification. Proof of certification will be located on your learner profile on the BH site. You’ll be able to access your certificate and will be able to share it with prospective employers. Your certificate is also printable and keeps its unique security ID.
Can I share the course with my friends?
Each user will have to pay for their own access to the course. We reserve the right to limit the number of IP addresses that access the course for each account and revoke access.
Is there live tutoring or webinars available?
In our efforts to make this course affordable and accessible to all Baristas, we’ve opted to make the content always accessible and non-interactive.
How long do I have access?
You pay once and have lifetime access.
Do I have to be a Barista Hustle subscriber to take the course?
Nope! Anyone can buy access to the course.
Can I retake the test if I don’t pass?
You have unlimited resits on the test.
Is it mobile-friendly?
What’s the refund policy?
If you’re not happy with the course, we’ll give you a full refund. Simple.
Do I need an espresso machine, refractometer, or any other special equipment?
No. We’ve designed this course to help everyone that makes coffee, regardless of their equipment. Some experiments will be difficult to execute without a refractometer, but the vast majority of the course will still be relevant.
Is it suitable for beginner-level home or service baristas?
If you’ve never made a coffee before or don’t regularly drink coffee, this course is not for you. If you’re just starting your coffee journey, read through our blog of free resources first to become familiar with some of the basic concepts that lay the foundation for this course. If you are familiar with our blog, this is definitely for you!
Is it only offered in English?
For now, yes. We are working on making translations available in several languages later on down the line. Stay tuned!
The course is limited to one IP address. Can I sign in from multiple devices?
Yes! Multiple devices or locations are okay, but we’re mainly on the lookout for large scale abuse.