PROCESSING / USD 179
LIFE-TIME ACCESS, COURSE & CERTIFICATION
Course & Certification
Processing is the second in a series of courses from Barista Hustle about coffee origin. Processing picks up where the Terroir course left off — at the precise moment that ripe coffee cherry is harvested. In this course, we learn about how coffee is looked after from the moment it ripens until it is dried and is ready to be roasted. We take an in depth look at washed, natural, and pulped natural processes, as well as looking into the most innovative new approaches to coffee fermentations around the globe. See the current course curriculum below! This is our biggest and most info packed course to-date.
All of our courses and certifications are available with a BH Unlimited monthly subscription.
Price: USD 179,-
Course Modules & Lessons
The Wet Mill
- PC 3.0 What’s in Chapter 3?
- PC 3.01 The Fermentation Tank
- PC 3.02 The Fermentation Process
- PC 3.03 Temperature and Time
- PC 3.04 Bacteria, Fungi, or Yeast?
- PC 3.05 Filamentous Fungi
- PC 3.06 Respiration and Fermentation
- PC 3.07 Washing
- PC 3.08 Wastewater Management
- PC 3.09 – Wastewater Treatment Preview
- PC 3.10 Recap and Glossary
- PC 3.11 Comprehension Test — Chapter 3
- PC 4.0 What’s in Chapter 4?
- PC 4.01 Semi-Carbonic Maceration in Winemaking
- PC 4.02 An Interview with Hugo Silva
- PC 4.03 Carbonic Maceration
- PC 4.04 An Interview with Jamison Savage Preview
- PC 4.05 Bag Fermentation — An interview with Nikolai Fürst
- PC 4.06 Innoculation
- PC 4.07 Kenyan Double Fermentation
- PC 4.08 Fermentation in Kenya — An Interview with Mette-Marie Hansen
- PC 4.09 Hot Fermentation — Interview with Petra Střelecká
- PC 4.10 Lactic Processing
- PC 4.11 Interview with Felipe Sardi, La Palma y El Tucan
- PC 4.12 Recap and Glossary
- PC 4.13 Comprehension Test — Chapter 4
- PC 5.00 What’s in Chapter 5?
- PC 5.01 Naturals
- PC 5.02 Interview with Anabella Meneses Preview
- PC 5.03 Quality Controls
- PC 5.04 Sugars in Natural Processing
- PC 5.05 Fermentation in Natural Processing
- PC 5.06 Mechanical Demucilagers
- PC 5.07 Flavour vs. Efficiency
- PC 5.08 Pulped Naturals and Honey Processing
- PC 5.09 The Short History of Honey Processing — With Francisco Mena
- PC 5.10 Recap and Glossary
- PC 5.11 Comprehension Test — Chapter 5
- PC 6.00 What’s in Chapter 6?
- PC 6.01 Drying Patios
- PC 6.02 Raised Beds
- PC 6.03 Guardiolas — Mechanical Coffee Dryers
- PC 6.04 Taints Caused by Improper Drying
- PC 6.05 Interview with Rachel Peterson Preview
- PC 6.06 Measuring the Moisture Content of Parchment Coffee
- PC 6.07 Water Activity in Green Coffee
- PC 6.08 Ochratoxin
- PC 6.09 Recap and Glossary
- PC 6.10 Comprehension Test — Chapter 6
- PC 7.00 What’s in Chapter 7?
- PC 7.01 Silos and Bodegas
- PC 7.02 An Interview with Marta Dalton
- PC 7.03 Hulling
- PC 7.04 Screening — Size-Grading Green Coffee
- PC 7.05 Density Sorting
- PC 7.06 Bagging, Super Sacks, and Shipping Containers
- PC 7.07 An Interview with Diego Lara of GrainPro
- PC 7.08 Recap and Glossary
- PC 7.09 Comprehension Test — Chapter 7
Processing Final Assessment
BH Unlimited – Subscription
Individual – USD 15,- / Monthly
Coffee Quality Control
BH Unlimited – Subscription
Team – USD 99,- / Monthly
The Water Course
What happens after I buy the course?
After purchase, you will gain a membership on this website granting you access to the course.
Is the course online?
Yes, the course is 100% online! All you need is a computer or mobile device and an internet connection. You don’t need to be in Australia to take the course.
How long does it take to complete the course?
The course will take maximum 30 hours if you include text, video explanations, assessments, and at-home experiments.
What do I get?
You get lifetime access to seven chapters, 26 in-depth videos, a downloadable “toolkit”, and a Barista Hustle Accredited Certificate upon completion of the course.
How hard is the course?
The course is challenging but far from impossible to study and comprehend. The videos dive into more difficult concepts and explain them further. The comprehensive tests at the end of each chapter will also help you to apply these concepts to everyday coffee making.
What if I have questions?
Email us at [email protected] and we’ll answer your questions as quickly as possible!
What is the certification process?
You have to complete each lesson and comprehension test, then pass the final assessment (85% or higher) to achieve certification. Proof of certification will be located on your learner profile on the BH site. You’ll be able to access your certificate and will be able to share it with prospective employers. Your certificate is also printable and keeps its unique security ID.
Can I share the course with my friends?
Each user will have to pay for their own access to the course. We reserve the right to limit the number of IP addresses that access the course for each account and revoke access.
Is there live tutoring or webinars available?
In our efforts to make this course affordable and accessible to all Baristas, we’ve opted to make the content always accessible and non-interactive.
How long do I have access?
You pay once and have lifetime access.
Do I have to be a Barista Hustle subscriber to take the course?
Nope! Anyone can buy access to the course.
Can I retake the test if I don’t pass?
You have unlimited resits on the test.
Is it mobile-friendly?
What’s the refund policy?
If you’re not happy with the course, we’ll give you a full refund. Simple.
Will I learn how to make better cold brew?
We provide the tools and information needed to make better coffee all around, but there isn’t a chapter on cold brew, no.
Do I need an espresso machine, refractometer, or any other special equipment?
No. We’ve designed this course to help everyone that makes coffee, regardless of their equipment. Some experiments will be difficult to execute without a refractometer, but the vast majority of the course will still be relevant.
Is it suitable for beginner-level home or service baristas?
If you’ve never made a coffee before or don’t regularly drink coffee, this course is not for you. If you’re just starting your coffee journey, read through our blog of free resources first to become familiar with some of the basic concepts that lay the foundation for this course. If you are familiar with our blog, this is definitely for you!
Is it only offered in English?
For now, yes. We are working on making translations available in several languages later on down the line. Stay tuned!
The course is limited to one IP address. Can I sign in from multiple devices?
Yes! Multiple devices or locations are okay, but we’re mainly on the lookout for large scale abuse.